Wednesday 30 January 2013

The 60s Dress Project - Part 5

This is the final part to the 60s dress project. Today was the deadline in which the dress had to be finished by. Fortunately I managed to complete my dress.
I started the lesson by turning the dress inside out and over locking the sides.

Then it was time to make the pleated skirt frill to attach to the dress. I folded the darts together according to the pattern I made for the pleats.Then pinned them in place and repeated this on the other side. I then sewed the pleats on both sides. I attached the back and front of the skirt frill together.






The next thing I did was attached the skirt frill to the dress.


I placed it on a mannequin to see how it looked so far. I now think I should have made it shorter and put pleats in the back.


I hemmed the sleeves by turning them up twice and sewing. I should have sewn close to the edge because this would have stopped the hem from flapping up.




I cut out interfacing for the neck facing and ironed it on to the neck facing fabric. I then
 over locked three of the four sides on each piece. Then I attached then together with a 1cm seam allowance and ironed them into a open seam.  





Next I sewed it on to the neckline on the dress. I attached it to the zip part first then folded it around and pinned it. I also did the on the other side. Then I lined up the seams and pinned it in place. I pinned the neck facing all the way around the neckline. This was sewn with a 1cm seam allowance.











I cut small triangles on the edge of the neck facing, where it is joined to the dress. This gives it ease. Then I ironed it and did a running stitch along the edge. I then tacked it to the inside of the dress. After that I had finished the dress.   









No comments:

Post a Comment