Tuesday 16 April 2013

Design Development

Over the Easter holidays I had to finish designing my final dress.
 

 I started by drawing the last design from the previous brief and then I added a technique I found while researching designers.
 I then looked at how I would manufacture the top of the dress. I decided that I would have to make a basic top for the overlaid shapes to go on.
I decided to have the origami on the shoulder because when working on the mannequin I found this looked best.

 I looked online at fabric shops in London. I found some fabric which I thought would be ideal for my dress. I order samples of these and created some samples. The overlaid shapes, on the top of the dress are based on clam shells. I wanted fabric that conveys the iridescent look that shells have which this fabric does.  
I have gone for an aqua colour scheme.
 

 

I sampled the frill with all the different coloured silk samples I had. Although, my original design had the frills all the same colour while sampling I found that all the fabric worked well together.
 
I have decided to have the basic under top in white, that way it won't effect the colour of the fabric on top. I am embellishing the top with gems. I now have to find fabric which will be suitable to make origami.
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment